October 27, 2006

Halloween, Unholy Evening

I've been a fan of Sonya Cotton ever since she was brought to my attention by Chris Maher last winter. Her self-released album 'Baltimore Trees', a collection of beautiful folk songs, all sweet and warm and shimmering, has become a favourite, and I await eagerly next year's follow up.

Sonya Cotton and Chris Kiehne

In the meantime... Hey! It's Halloween! And parties etc. notwithstanding, what better way to celebrate than by listening to some great seasonal sounds...no? Sonya Cotton's partner in music, Chris Kiehne, has been cool enough to locate me and send their newly recorded (this week), online Halloween EP. I'm really glad he did, because this I wouldn't have wanted to miss. It's sublime; as lovely and outstanding (and "uncharacteristically unspooky") a holiday recording as you're ever likely to hear. Two gorgeous originals, and two traditionals. Do have a listen!

Sonya Cotton and Chris Kiehne | Halloween, Unholy Evening

Happy Halloween!

No comments: