May 08, 2006

Grant McLennan RIP

(I only saw The Go-Betweens live once, at Oslo's Sardines club around the time of their '16 Lover's Lane' LP. It was a strange set; musically great, but I could sense a lot of on-stage tension between Grant McLennan and bandmate and girlfriend Amanda Brown. I never found out what it was all about, it wasn't for me to know. But I was very intrigued.) Grant McLennan The Go-Betweens were for the better part of the 1980s one of my favourite groups (I think I sometimes preferred them to The Smiths who they often were compared to; in hindsight definitely), so it was with great sadness that I learned this morning of founder member Grant McLennan's death in his sleep at the premature age of 48. A profoundly talented and emotional songwriter has passed away; he will be sorely missed. If you haven't heard any of his and their stuff, you must.

No comments: